Thank you to all who attended our 3rd Standing Conference on Thursday the 11th of July, bringing together members of Patient Participation Groups (PPGs) and other patient representatives from all over the county.
Making A Difference: How to get your voice heard to influence change
This standing conference set out to follow up from our previous conference in May where we discussed the new Primary Care Networks some of the key issues in Warwickshire, and how we can work together to get the Patient Voice heard.
“We have it within our ability, knowledge and interest to be part of the system and not be seen as outside of the system”
Phil Robson, Chair of the Standing Conference
What was discussed?
Barry Franklin, Chair of Whitnash PPG, shared how PPGs across the Leamington Primary Care Network had met following our May conference to discuss how they can be involved in the changes going forward. Prof. Sir Chris Ham (Independent Chair of the Coventry and Warwickshire Health and Care Partnership Board - formerly the STP) was invited to listen and respond to thoughts raised during the conference concerning topics such as transport, social prescribing, integrated care and patient voice, promising that it will be heard.
“This is a public service which we all value and there is no reason why things should be done in private”
Professor Sir Chris Ham
Some of the key themes arising from the tabletop discussions included:
- Communication: being informed by practices and organisations of any plans
- Having decisions based on the needs of individuals
- Hearing from those less often heard from; how will their needs be represented?
- Better Patient and Public Involvement, not tokenistic but really listening
- Concerns over disparities in size, geography and activeness of Practices and PPGs
- Improvements to integrated care
- Having a carers champion within every PPG
Professor Sir Chris Ham , Chris Bain, Michael Pearson and Phil Robson.