Contact your GP or Pharmacist if you, or someone you care for, qualifies for a free flu jab.
Keep your home warm, efficiently and safely:
- Heating your home to 18◦ in winter poses minimal risk to your health when you are wearing suitable clothing.
- Get your heating system and cooking appliances checked and keep your home well ventilated.
- Use your electric blanket as instructed and get it tested every three years. Never use a hot water bottle with an electric blanket.
- Do not use a gas oven or cooker to heat your home, it is inefficient and there is a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, which can kill.
- Make sure you have a supply of heating oil or LPG or solid fuel if you are not on mains gas or electricity to make sure you do not run out in winter
Keep in the warmth by:
- Fitting draught proofing to seal any gaps around windows and doors
- Make sure you have loft insulation. If you have cavity walls make sure they are insulated too.
- Insulate your hot water cylinder and pipes
- Draw your curtains at dusk to keep the heat generated inside your rooms
- Make sure your radiators are not obstructed by furniture or curtains.
Look after yourself:
- Food is a vital source of energy and helps keep your body warm so have plenty of hot food and drinks
- Aim to include five portions of fruits and vegetables. Tinned and frozen vegetables count toward your five a day
- Stock up on tinned and frozen foods so you don’t need to go out too much when it’s cold and icy.
- Exercise is good for you all year round and it can keep you warm in winter
- If possible, try to move around at least once an hour, but remember to speak to your GP before starting any exercise plans
- Wear lots of thin layers- clothes made from cotton, wool or fleecy fibres are particularly good and maintain body heat.
- Wear good fitting slippers with a grip indoors and shoes with a good grip outside to prevent trips slips and falls.
- Make sure you have spare medication in case you are unable to go out
- Check if you are eligible for inclusion on the priority services register, operated by your water and power supplier