On the 17th of October Healthwatch Warwickshire held our 7th Annual Conference and our first ever Annual General Meeting. This year we held the conference at Leamington Spa Town Hall. The conference focused on the local plans for the NHS.
Healthwatch Warwickshire’s Chair, Liz Hancock opened the conference by welcoming everyone and expressing thanks to our many stakeholders and partners. Claire Jackson, then summarised the achievements of Healthwatch Warwickshire over the last year, including the Wellbeing Survey, The Rights to Access Healthcare Project, four Enter and View care home visits, The NHS Long Term Plan engagement, and our work around Primary Care Networks which included a survey and two Standing Conferences. Chris Bain, Chief Executive of Healthwatch Warwickshire, presented the findings of the Primary Care Networks Survey, of which a full report will be released soon, gave a summary of our standing conferences and reflected on the CQC state of care report
Rachel Danter, System Transformation Director of the Coventry and Warwickshire Health and Care Partnership then presented their draft 5 year plan for transforming Healthcare across Coventry and Warwickshire. This is their response to the NHS Long Term Plan which was released in January. She introduced how services will be provided more locally with a focus on prevention in this new plan which was informed by the public and by clinicians.
We then asked attendees what they thought Healthwatch and the Health and Care Partnership should be doing with respect for 4 key themes: Quality of Care, Access to Services, GP services and Mental Health. Here is a summary of the key things they told us they would like to see:
- All groups said that they would like both HWW and CWHCP to address problems with Mental Health Services.
- Would like HWW to talk to more groups of people that experience barriers to services and offer solutions to how these could be overcome. Such as; deaf, perinatal and learning disabilities.
- Would like CWHCP to be more transparent and engage with people
- Would like HWW to provide clear and accessible information about services
- Would like HWW to strengthen relationships between GPs and PPGs
This and the rest of the feedback which arose during the day will help us at Healthwatch think about what we should be focusing on next as we move on from our initial engagement on the NHS Long Term Plan.